Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
What a nice salad! Refreshing and looks so lovely! Update:06/15/2010 just thought I'd add this so that you can make a really good salad! Please make sure that your cantaloupe is very ripe (not mushy) and sweet thanks ratherbeswimming.;)
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (may need more)
- 2 3⁄4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 red apple, cored and diced (unpeeled)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 7 ounces green seedless grapes
- 1 cantaloupe, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (make sure it is ripe)
- 3 teaspoons slivered almonds or 3 teaspoons pecan pieces, toasted
- Place chicken breasts in a pan and cover with chicken stock and water, if needed, to poach. Simmer on low heat for 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Remove from heat and allow to cool.(This you can do ahead of time, if needed).
- Slice chicken and set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Add apple, lemon juice, celery grapes and cantaloupe.
- Mix gently and thoroughly.
- Add chicken slices and toss.
- Top with almond pieces or toasted pecans.
- Serve with hot biscuits and a nice Chablis.
Chicken salad with fruit is a favorite of mine. Never made one using canteloupe. Make sure to use a sweet, ripe melon for maxiumum flavor. For my taste, this needed a good measure of salt and pepper to bring the flavors out. Used toasted almond slices. Very colorful and fresh tasting. Best to make right before you are ready to serve. The mayo/sour cream get watery the next day.