Recipe by Mudflower
These burgers are very healthy and have a bright, piquant flavor. I'm not a big fan of beef, and my husband would eat a cow a day if he could, but I make these and we're both happy. The amounts of cilantro, garlic, and lemon zest are very flexible. Also, the burgers are great by themselves with a little mustard on bread, if you don't want to shred cabbage, but the toppings all really pull it together and make it a favorite around here. This recipe will make 2-3 large or 4 smallish burgers.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 large egg
- 10 saltine crackers
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 kaiser rolls, toasted
- 1⁄3 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- yellow mustard
- 8 dill pickle slices
Directions See How It's Made
- If you would like to bake these, preheat your oven to 400°F If you will be grilling them, do whatever you grilling folks do for lean burgers. You may want to add a few more crackers if you are grilling as these can be a bit sloppy when raw.
- Grease a baking sheet (if you do not have a non-stick baking sheet).
- Combine the first 10 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Use your (clean) hands to make sure it is all well mixed.
- Form patties and place them on a non-stick or greased baking sheet.
- Place in preheated oven and bake approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown and done in the center.
- While they are baking (or being grilled), mix together shredded cabbage, vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoons black pepper.
- Layer: bun, mustard, pickles, burger, cabbage mixture, bun.