Recipe by Tisy Adams
This is a great recipe. You can change it by leaving out the pasta and serving with rice or you can make it colorful by trying different color pastas. Enjoy!
Top Review by 707heather707
This is a great base recipe. I followed it exactly except used fresh broccoli which I chopped and boiled for that last three minutes with the noodles. I LOVED the fact that this casserole did not have any of the condensed cream soups in it (5 stars for that!!!!). That being said, I thought the flavor was a bit lacking. When I make this again ( and I will make it again), I will liven up the sauce with more spices and herbs, maybe some chopped bell peppers and garlic and perhaps go a little lighter on the cheese which was the definitely the overwhelming flavor of the dish. It might also be good with a bit of sour cream added to the sauce. .In any case, this is a nice basic recipe worth playing around with to make it suit your personal taste Thanks Tisy!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli
- 8 ounces shredded muenster cheese or 8 ounces cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in pot with enough water to cover over medium high heat.
- Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 7 x 11 inch baking dish; set aside.
- Saute' onion in butter over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and thyme, then broth and milk.
- Stir over heat for 5 minutes, until thick.
- Boil noodles in large saucepan for 6 minutes.
- Chop cooled chicken in 1/2 inch chunks.
- Drain noodles well.
- Spread noodles in baking dish; top with chicken and broccoli.
- Add sauce to the dish; top with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 20 minutes.