Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe. You can change it by leaving out the pasta and serving with rice or you can make it colorful by trying different color pastas. Enjoy!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli
- 8 ounces shredded muenster cheese or 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Place chicken in pot with enough water to cover over medium high heat.
- Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 7 x 11 inch baking dish; set aside.
- Saute' onion in butter over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and thyme, then broth and milk.
- Stir over heat for 5 minutes, until thick.
- Boil noodles in large saucepan for 6 minutes.
- Chop cooled chicken in 1/2 inch chunks.
- Drain noodles well.
- Spread noodles in baking dish; top with chicken and broccoli.
- Add sauce to the dish; top with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
This is a great base recipe. I followed it exactly except used fresh broccoli which I chopped and boiled for that last three minutes with the noodles. I LOVED the fact that this casserole did not have any of the condensed cream soups in it (5 stars for that!!!!). That being said, I thought the flavor was a bit lacking. When I make this again ( and I will make it again), I will liven up the sauce with more spices and herbs, maybe some chopped bell peppers and garlic and perhaps go a little lighter on the cheese which was the definitely the overwhelming flavor of the dish. It might also be good with a bit of sour cream added to the sauce. .In any case, this is a nice basic recipe worth playing around with to make it suit your personal taste Thanks Tisy!