Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Chicken beasts bathed in a fragrant sauce make a delicate dish, perfect for dinner parties. Serve with rice to complete the meal. This is out of my Mexican Recipes cookbook...Yep...that's the name of the book...
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- salt and pepper
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 29.58-44.37 ml butter (or a combination of butter and oil)
- 453.59 g salsa, green, mild (or hot)
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 1-2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 44.37-73.94 ml cilantro, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 green chili pepper, fresh, seeded and chopped
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- lettuce, shredded
- 3-5 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then dredge with flour.
- Shake off the excess.
- Melt the butter (or butter, oil) in a skillet, then add the chicken and cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until golden but not cooked through-the chicken will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the salsa, broth, garlic, cilantro, chili, and cumin in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, spooning the sauce over the chicken.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken and sauce from the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream, lettuce, scallion, and cilantro.
An easy supper that is just full of flavor. My local Mexican market makes a delicious salsa verde, which is what I used in this dish. Served with rice and some sauteed zucchini.
WOW! This was a fabulous dish. Definately going into my Favorites of 2013. I did add some minced garlic and onion to the pan to saute a little after browning the chicken then added the salsa and followed the rest of the instructions. Topped with sour cream, scallions and cilantro and served with a small green salad. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
This is soooo good! The chicken was cooked perfectly and the flavorful sauce cooked down to perfection in the time specified. Serving topped with sour cream was a perfect completion of the dish (I don't care for raw onion so didn't garnish with those). Thanks for sharing a keeper!