Recipe by JustJanS
I found the original idea for this on the internet, but when I went to cook it, discovered I had forgotten the leeks it needed. This was what I came up with, and I think the texture of the onions would be better than the leeks in the original. I'm also going to try this with whole berry cranberry jelly too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch chili powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breast fillets (about 200g each)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons quince paste
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan, and cook the onion for about 20 minutes or until well softened and golden brown.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, sugar, chili powder and season with salt and pepper; cook for a further 5 minutes or until caremelised.
- Preheat the oven to 475f.
- Place half a teaspoon of fennel seeds and half a tablespoon of quince paste on each chicken fillet.
- Wrap 2 prosciutto slices around each fillet, tucking underneath.
- Pour the wine over the onions, place the wrapped fillets on top of them, then tuck a bay leaf under each.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.