Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. Most of the prep time is just letting the pan sit.
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover beans with water. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Return pan to medium heat and add chicken, onion and celery. Cook 1 hour.
- Remove chicken. Add barley; season with pepper, mustard and cayenne.
- Cook 30 minutes, until beans and barley are tender.
- Remove chicken from bones and shred meat. Return meat to soup.