Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. Most of the prep time is just letting the pan sit.
Make and share this Chicken Black Bean and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover beans with water. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Return pan to medium heat and add chicken, onion and celery. Cook 1 hour.
- Remove chicken. Add barley; season with pepper, mustard and cayenne.
- Cook 30 minutes, until beans and barley are tender.
- Remove chicken from bones and shred meat. Return meat to soup.