1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 5 mins
A Family favourite. One that can be made in advance. Great for an informal dinner party
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken, jointed
- 2 large red peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil or 2 ounces chopped tomatoes, well drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ounces chorizo sausages, cut into 1cm chunks
- 8 fluid ounces brown basmati rice
- 1/2 pint chicken stock, better if made freshly from giblets etc
- 6 fluid ounces dry white wine, good excuse open a bottle
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 2 ounces stoned black olives, halved
- 1/2 large orange, split into wedges
- 1Joint chicken and season well ( you can use just chicken breasts if you feel flush ).
- 2Cut the onion and red pepper ( remove pith etc.) into strips the same size.
- 3Drain / dry and cut sun dried tomatoes into 1cm pieces.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a flameproof casserole dish ( with lid ). Add the chicken and brown all over. Take out and drain on kitchen paper.
- 5Add onions and peppers and brown - about 5 minutes.( More oil may be needed.).
- 6Add chopped garlic chorizo and sun dried tomatoes. Cook for about 1 minute until garlic is golden and the meat has changed colour slightly.
- 7Add rice - stir until grains have been coated in the oil.
- 8Add the stock, wine, tomato puree and cayenne pepper.
- 9Heat until a gentle simmer is achieved. Place chicken pieces on the top ( the rice should be submerged in the liquid.), sprinkle on the herbs and scatter the olives and orange wedges. Cover and cook on the gentlest possible heat for 50-60 minutes - or until the rice is cooked through.
- 10This meal can be prepared in advance up to Stage 9.
Browse Our Top Spanish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Basque
Serving Size: 1 (775 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1183.6
- Calories from Fat 647
- Total Fat 71.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 235.7 mg
- Sodium 1167.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 67.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence