Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Good for what ails you! Even better the next day. From Cooking Light Magazine.
Make and share this Chicken Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup raw quick-cooking barley
- In a large dutch oven, saute onion, celery, carrots, & garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add broth, water, salt, thyme, & pepper.Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes.
- Add chicken & barley. Cook for 10 minutes.
I had a rotisserie chicken that I used to make the stock (did not use chicken broth). I otherwise, followed the recipe only adding a can of low sodium vaccuum packed corn (I love chicken corn soup). The barley is a nice change from egg noodles and also healthier. We enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for sharing!
I added two cups of precooked barley to increase fiber.
Excellent soup... boiled my chicken breasts and used the stock instead of the water. Also added some multi-colored spiral macaroni and a can of roasted tomatoes. Came out awesome!