Grandma's Chicken-Barley Soup
photo by WiGal
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (do not drain)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- Heat oil over medium-high temperature in a large, heavy stockpot. Add chicken thighs, skin side down, and brown.
- Add 2 cups of the broth to pan and turn heat down to medium-low. Cover pot with lid. Cook about 40 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Leaving broth in pan, remove chicken to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add remaining broth to pan. Stir in remaining ingredients (except salt, pepper and parsley). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours, until barley and vegetables are done.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken meat and skin from bones. Discard bones and coarsely chop meat and skin (if you do not want the skin, skip the browning process and discard skin after removing meat from bones). Add to pot for last 1/2 hour and cook until heated through. (If soup is too thick at this point, add some water) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add parsley and ladle into bowls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed this recipe. I plan on freezing the extra in individual sized containers for the a quick dinner another night. I did find it to be to thick so I added 3 cups of water and 8oz extra of chicken broth. Also I used fresh basil from my garden and only used 3 medium carrots. I used baby bella mushrooms and they were great! Wonderful recipe. Love the barley and mushroom combination.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
WARNING: Make my recipes if you want, but I am no longer an active member and will not acknowledge reviews, photos or answer questions via z-mail. I find this site to be pretty useless without the forums. I can find recipes on a lot of different websites.