Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
One of my all-time favourite soups, this is rich and very tasty. No one needs to know that it's healthy! You really should use the chicken thighs because it contributes a lot to the flavour and richness. Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and cook, stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken and keep stirring for about 3 or 4 more minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add broth, barley, sage, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Turn to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- Add mushrooms and parsley and cook for about 10 more minutes or until mushrooms are heated through.
What a nice change of pace from regular beef mushroom barley soup! I made this exactly as posted and ended up with a delicious and filling soup. It smells wonderful while it's cooking, too!
Very hearty and pure comfort food! I added a minced clove of garlic, and may add 1/4 cup more barley next time. Would be good with some canned, diced tomatoes also. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
I halved the recipe for just me, so I'd have leftovers for lunch! Delicious soup, one that I will make often, since I am a "soupaholic"! The only thing I changed was too add just a bit of garlic after sauteing the veggies and chicken...didn't want it to burn. Otherwise, I stayed true to the recipe. Yummy soup! Thanks for sharing!