Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
One of my all-time favourite soups, this is rich and very tasty. No one needs to know that it's healthy! You really should use the chicken thighs because it contributes a lot to the flavour and richness. Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and cook, stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken and keep stirring for about 3 or 4 more minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add broth, barley, sage, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Turn to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- Add mushrooms and parsley and cook for about 10 more minutes or until mushrooms are heated through.
What a nice change of pace from regular beef mushroom barley soup! I made this exactly as posted and ended up with a delicious and filling soup. It smells wonderful while it's cooking, too!
Very hearty and pure comfort food! I added a minced clove of garlic, and may add 1/4 cup more barley next time. Would be good with some canned, diced tomatoes also. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
This soup was delicious and healthy, the barley makes the texture almost creamy. I did not add bay leaves out of personal preference and threw in a handful of peas, I also cut way back on the chicken.