Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This casserole has the potatoes and chicken baked together in one dish, smothered in the most wonderful-tasting cheese sauce...a favorite supper at our house....if you don't have any cooked chicken, this can be made with cooked turkey or cubed cooked ham, or even cooked shrimp, any way that you choose to make it this is a real winner.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons shallots
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives or 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 lb cooked green beans, blanched and well drained
- 3 large carrots, julienned
- 4 potatoes, cut in thin slices
- 1⁄2-1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Set oven to 450 degrees.
- Set oven rack to center position.
- Butter a baking dish (large enough to hold casserole).
- For the cheese sauce, melt butter over low heat in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Gently cook shallots and garlic for a few minutes, or less, be careful not to brown.
- Gradually whisk in cream, and then the chicken broth, whisk and cook until smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Blend in grated cheese and green onions, stir until blended.
- Set sauce aside.
- In a baking dish, place the diced chicken, and cover with about 1 cup cheese sauce.
- Top with carrots and green beans.
- Cover with half of potato slices.
- Then pour half of the remaining cheese sauce over the carrots and beans.
- Cover with remainig potato slices, then finish with the remainder of sauce on top of potatoes.
- Sprinkle top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the center of oven for 40-45 mins.