Recipe by wackopatty
This recipe comes from Pillsbury Kitchens' Family Cookbook. Chicken is baked on top of a rice mixture. There are variations to this recipe using stuffing instead of rice, and pork chops instead of chicken.
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup
- 4 ounces mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs frying chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In 13x9 inch pan, combine first 7 incredients, mix well. Arrange chicken on the rice mixture, skin side up, drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, paprika and poultry seasoning. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Tips: For chicken atop dressing, substitute 8-oz pkg. herb-seasoned stuffing mix for rice. Omit first 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake covered with foil at 375 for 1 hour; remove foil and bake 30 minutes longer. This makes a moist dressing. If you prefer a drier dressing, decrease water to 1 1/2 cups.
- Wild rice can be substituted for half of rice.
- For pork chops atop rice, in large skillet, brown 6 pork chops. Arrange pork chops on rice mixture, omit butter.