Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very simple to make and oh so delicious zuchini parmesan. Low in fat and low in calories too! I found this one on my slim fast diet meal plan.
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomato
- 1 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- 2 cups salad greens
- 2 tablespoons fat-free salad dressing, any flavour
- Preheat broiler.
- Spray a jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Wash and peel onion and cut into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Arrange onion slices in a single layer in the prepared pan and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Broil onion slices 5 inches from heat for 10 minutes, turning over after 5 minutes, or until tender and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, prepare chicken by placing between two pieces of plastic wrap and pounding with a wooden mallet to approximately ½ inch thickness; set aside. Crush that garlic and mix it in a small bowl with the 1 ½ tsp oil, 1 tsp water basil, oregano and pepper.
- Brush both sides of zucchini and chicken with herb-oil mixture.
- Using a metal spatula, push the onions toward the centre of the pan, creating a stack.
- Place the chicken on top of the onions and arrange the zucchini slices around the stack.
- Broil 7-9 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and zucchini slices are tender.
- Change broiler setting to bake at 450° F and preheat.
- Spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer the chicken and onions to the baking dish, then place the zucchini on top. Spoon the canned tomatoes and their juice over the chicken and vegetables.
- Sprinkle with the cheeses and bake for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheeses are melted.
- Meanwhile, assemble your tossed salad with a variety of washed salad greens and vegetables, and toss with your favourite fat free salad dressing.
It was pretty good, I let it bake about 20min instead of 10.