Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A savory, creamy curry, perfect for fall!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (4 ounce) jar red curry paste or 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups heavy cream or 4 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Set your broiler to high. Combine mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and garam masala in a small bowl. On a foil covered cookie sheet, coat both sides of the four chicken breasts with the spice mixture. Put the chicken in the oven to broil for 15 minutes on each side.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a large pan or dutch oven. Peel and cube 2 large sweet potatoes and let them cook in the oil for about ten minutes or until the cubes are partly browned on the outside and soft on the inside. After they have reached the desired color and softness, add sliced garlic, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garam masala, cayenne pepper and ginger. Cook the spices with the potatoes until they are fragrant and roasted, about 3-5 minutes. Add curry powder, curry paste, tomato paste, and the cinnamon stick. Stir the mixture together for about 2 minutes, or until fully combined, then add the heavy cream or milk. Stir together and let simmer for 10 minutes. When the chicken is done, slice or cube it and add it to the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice or flatbread. Or both!