Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Curry
photo by James M.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry paste (you choose the strength!)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions for 4 - 5 minutes until golden.
- Add the garlic, squash, sweet potatoes, potato and apple. Stir in the curry paste, turmeric powder, ginger, bay leaves, stock and seasoning to taste.
- Bring to the boil, stir well, then cover for 15 - 20 minutes until vegetables are cooked to liking. Stir from time to time.
- Serve with boiled basmati rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was the perfect curry for a cool fall evening. I doubled the recipe, but only used 3 cups of stock, which was plenty of liquid. As per another reviewer's suggestion, I added a can of chickpeas to increase the protein content. Next time I might try adding a few raisins for added sweetness. I served it over brown rice, and topped it with slivered almonds. Thanks for sharing a keeper.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am retired through medical grounds and spend a lot of daytime hours scanning the web. Recipezaar takes up a lot of that time! I'm told that I have a good sense of humour and this helps me get by on a daily basis. Cooking helps a lot, but I have trouble remembering ingredients or even what book a recipe hase come from (Ihave that many!) As a result, strange concoctions often follow me out of the kitchen. No one has died from this as yet, so I guess that I am OK.