Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is adapted From David Thompsons Thai Food. It has become one of my all-time favorite soups. It is TDF. Adopted 9/06
Top Review by Donna
As he says, this soup is to die for, I ventured into our local asian market and was able to find everything I needed to make this exact, it is amazingly delicious and alot easier than it sounds, if you can find all the ingredients, I suggest you try it, you won't be sorry!
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed
- 3 shallots, peled
- 2 coriander, roots scraped
- 3 Thai green chili, stems removed
- 10 slices galangal, peeled
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces (Chanterelles, straw, oyster or Button)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart saucepan, heat chicken stock, coconut milk, coconut cream, salt and palm sugar to boiling.
- Meanwhile bruise lemongrass, shallots, cporiander roots and chiles using a mortar and pestle.
- Add to boiling stock along with galangal and lime leaves.
- Simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Strain out all solids.
- Return liquid to pot and add chicken and mushrooms.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Add fish sauce and lime juice.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onion.