Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From South Beach Diet, phase 1.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 12 slices
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the broiler.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Mist the slices with cooking spray and broil 4 inches from heat for 2 minutes (or until golden)
- Turn the eggplant over and mist again. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garlic. Broil for 1 minute (or until golden) and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over med-high heat for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes with juice, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and black pepper, stirring to break up the tomatoes. Bring to a broil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Coat an 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange 6 eggplant slices in the bottom of the dish. Top with the chicken mixture. Arrange remaining 6 eggplant slices over the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake, covered, for 30 minutes or until heated through.
We really enjoyed this dish and it was so healthy. Only thing I changed was to use Australian Cheddar cheese instead of the mozzarella as that was what I had on hand.
Good recipe! Not a knock-your-socks-off recipe, but flavorful and easy enough to make. I was glad to use eggplant and actually have it turn out okay. Other recipes I've tried, it is always chewy or burnt, but this method of cooking really worked for me. I subbed red bell pepper, but otherwise followed as written.