Red Bean Mash (South Beach Diet Phase 1)
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 19 ounces red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (Cake ingedient only) (optional)
Mash recipe :
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragant, about 7 minutes. Add beans, broth, and salt; bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and stir in cilantro and mash with a potato masher to a coarse puree. Add pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Form Bean mixture into 4 patties. In a large skillet, heat 2 T oil over medium heat. Add patties and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a flavorful, versatile dish! I eat it nearly every morning, heated in a small skillet and topped with a poached egg. I also eat it as a side with grilled chicken and roasted veggies, use it as refried beans with fajitas, even eat it with a spoon directly from the pan! When I prepare it, I make at least a double recipe so that I have it in the fridge at all times. If there is any other South Beach dish that Is better, I'm in trouble!