Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw this made on a recent "Good Morning America" and was so intrigued I went out and bought the cookbook where it came from "Taste of Home's Comfort Food Diet Cookbook". I whipped this up the other night, and it sure hit the spot on a cold winter evening. It is the ultimate comfort food, rich and creamy and hearty, you'd never guess it was lower in fat! WW=7 points. Submitted by Morgan Byers of Berkely, Michigan.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup coarsley shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2⁄3 cup Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix or 2⁄3 cup biscuit mix
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until browned and juices run clear.
- In a large saucepan, combine flour and 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Stir in water and remaining broth. Add the carrots, marjoram and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal and cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop batter in 12 rounds onto simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutesr until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).