Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Medium curry with coconut and chick peas.
- 500 g chicken breasts
- 2 cooking onions
- 750 g mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons pickled ginger
- 25 ml vegetable ghee or 25 ml oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 green cardamom pods (slightly crushed)
- 4 bay leaves
- 500 ml pasata or sieved tomatoes
- 100 ml plain yogurt
- 400 g chickpeas
- 280 ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chop chicken, onion and mushrooms, slice garlic very thinly.
- Heat the Ghee till it is just sizzling in a large wok or a heavy saucepan.
- Fry the onions with the garlic, ginger, cardamoms and bay leaves. Stir for 5-10 min until the onions are soft,then add the chicken,stir again for 3 min then turn down the heat so the chicken stays fairly soft.
- After 10 min stir in the mushrooms, combine all the spices and tip them in the pan, add the salt, turning everything over rapidly until the spices have covered everything.
- Now quickly, as everything will start to stick, add the pasata (sieved tomato), yogurt, coconut milk and the drained chick peas.
- Heat through until boiling stirring fairly often, then simmer until the sauce is quite thick but smooth possibly 20-25 min, add a little boiling water if it is reducing rapidly.
- Serve with rice or Indian breads, possibly with chilled chopped fresh tomatoes.
Really good recipe. I didn't use the cardamom pods, since I didn't have any. Served over Jasmine rice. Definitely make again!
Good curry recipe. Decreased the oil to 1tbs. Did not have any cardamon pods so I used 1/2tsp ground cardamon instead. Since I do not mix meat and dairy I used an extra 100ml coconutmilk instead of the yoghurt. Decreased the cummin to 1 tsp and also added 1tbs of curry powder. Served the curry the first time over couscous and another time over rice. It freezes well. Will make again. Thanks for posting.
I tried this recipe for my first time cooking indian food at home. It came out amazingly well, except i wanted it a little more spicy. I added some coriander powder and hot curry powder (mcormick) Very good recipe!!