Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Inspired by Sam the Cooking Guy. This is especially yummy served over rice (so that the rice sops up all of the juices. Yum!)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb chicken (my favorites are chicken thighs, drumsticks, breast, skin optional)
- 2 cups soy sauce (I use Aloha)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 12 -15 garlic cloves, minced (I use a garlic press)
- 6 bay leaves
- In a large pot, combine soy sauce, vinegar, ground pepper, brown sugar, minced garlic and bay leaves.
- If using chicken with skin, place skin side down in pot. Over high heat and uncovered, bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, immediately turn down to a simmer and cover with lid.
- After 30 minutes, remove lid and turn chicken over. Simmer 20 - 30 minutes more.