Recipe by Petalpages
A flavorful, thick soup that is perfect with some crusty bread and a nice warm fire. My daughter, who is 1 1/2, gobbles this up! Tip: If you cook the squash beforehand, you can make the soup in about an hour.
Top Review by Oliver's mommy
I was looking for a recipe for leftover chicken and an acorn squash. This was EXCELLENT. My 2 year old son and husband loved it as well. I will definitely make it again. I skipped the cumin and added a tsp. of vanilla. We had it with garlic bread. Delicious - thank you :) We also roasted the squash seeds at 300 F for 20 minutes with salt and olive oil - good for any squash seeds - yummy!
- 1 acorn squash
- butter, melted
- brown sugar
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium potato
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cut squash in half and lay on baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minute.
- Turn squash over, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake 5 minute longer.
- Set aside to cool.
- Season whole chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Let rest.
- Chop carrots, onion, and potatoes into small pieces.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook vegetables, except squash, in oil until starting to soften.
- Add chicken and cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with cumin and stir.
- Meanwhile, spoon cooled squash out of skin and mash in a bowl.
- Add chicken broth and squash to vegetables and chicken.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.