1/8 Photos of Chic and Cheerful - Savoury French Olive, Cheese and Onion Cake
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
The French love these delicious savoury cakes, they can be found in all supermarkets and good boulangeries. The texture is still very light and "cake" like, as these are not yeast risen cakes; however, the texture is also quite robust and firm, slightly "holey", making these savoury type cakes very easy to slice. You can just slice them and butter them for a snack or use the sliced cake for an unusual and alternative sandwich bread. Or, slice them and then cut into small cubes - then using cocktail sticks attach a chunk of your favourite cheese or spread the cubes with tapenade, cream cheese or your favourite savoury spread. Olives also make a great accompaniment. Please note, that these do NOT have the same texture as a normal sweet cake - as I mentioned before, the texture is holey, firm and amost like a sourdough bread. They freeze beautifully, both in loaves or in slices. Preparation time includes the "resting" time needed for the cake batter.
My Private Note
loaf or ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan. Gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes, or until soft and golden.
- 2Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Gradually whisk in the eggs, followed by the milk, until you have a smooth batter. Mix in the cheese, olives and sautéed onions, along with their oil. Cover and leave to rest for 2 hours. This will make a lighter cake.
- 3Preheat the oven to 220C,450F, gas mark 7 and grease 6 mini loaf tins (see above), or one large loaf tin. Give the batter a good stir and divide between the tins.
- 4Bake at the centre of the oven for 15 - 20 minutes for the 6 mini loaf tins, or 20-30 minutes for the large loaf - or until firm and golden. Leave to cool.
- 5When cold, turn out of the tins and wrap or store in an airtight tin. These savoury cake/s freeze very well in slices or as 1 whole or 6 mini loaves.
- 6NB. These can be made in advance and refrigerated. Bake them in a tray of mini loaf pans or individual mini loaf tins (the tins should be about 10 x 6 x 3.5cm). Alternatively, try muffin tins.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chic and Cheerful - Savoury French Olive, Cheese and Onion Cake
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.3
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 146.8 mg
- Sodium 597.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 12.2 g