Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
My recipe for Chexicago Party Mix is a finalist in the in the Chex Party Mix Recipe contest, It was inspired by Chicago Blend popcorn; a tasty cheese and caramel mix. It's Salty & Sweet and ready to eat in 15 minutes! You can vote once a day from Sept 15 – Oct 15, 2009. Vote Chex® icago, Vote Today! Vote for Chexicago Party Mix at www.ChexRecipeContest.com
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups wheat Chex cereal
- 2 cups chocolate Chex cereal
- 2 cups Cheez-It crackers
- 3 cups smartfood cheese popcorn
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix cereals, 1 cup of the cheese crackers and 2 cups of the popcorn in large, microwavable bowl. Set aside.
- Place butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt in 2-cup microwavable measuring cup. Microwave on High 1 minute 30 seconds. Stir; microwave on High until bubbling. Remove from microwave; stir in baking soda. Mixture will foam up, but keep mixing until baking soda is dissolved. Pour over the cereal mixture; stir until fully coated.
- Microwave on High 4 to 5 minutes, stirring after every minute. Spread on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Let cool for about 5 minutes to let caramel fully harden. Stir in remaining 1 cup cheese crackers and 1 cup popcorn and serve.