Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
and without any odd ingredients :) Just plain old fashioned brownies made lower fat. One bowl too! To reduce the fat further sub applesauce for the butter.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup less 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter or 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 ounces chopped walnuts
- Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In large bowl, with fork, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder and salt.
- Stir in butter, egg whites, and vanilla; mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool. Makes 8 servings.
A good chocolate option for those watching their intake. Easy to prepare using ingredients I always have on hand. I used light butter as my my added fat and used a small amount of mini chocolate chips rather than walnuts. (When you are looking for a chocolate fix, what better to add than more chocolate.) The brownies are very thin and soft - mine were even moister than I expected almost like a cookie. Thanks Marra. Made for the Safari Supper Club's Summer Spectacular.
Very Nice! Made them tonight, substituted walnuts for raisins. My brownies don't seem very moist! Your photo looks like yours were more moist than mine.
These were just okay for me. Easy to prepare, however I had difficulty spreading in pan. They tasted like they needed some salt. Sorry, I wanted to give them a better review.