Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Submitted for Zaar World Tour 2005. I LOVE chestnuts. On the streets of New York City during the winter vendors roast them on the street and you can buy warm and fragrant little bags of them to keep your hands warm and tummy full while window shopping. Fond memories of Christmas in New York, but this particular recipe is a Christmas in Austria recipe (from a cookbook of countries along the Danube). You can serve them with crown roast of pork (I wouldn't, but then I'm a vegetarian). Have not tried this recipe yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in large skillet.
- 2Add chestnuts, salt and pepper to taste and ground fennel seeds.
- 3Simmer for a few minutes until heated thoroughly and set skillet aside.
- 4Place prunes in a saucepan and add port, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- 5Cook over low heat until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- 6Add prunes to chestnuts, mix together gently and simmer 3 minutes, to warm chestnuts.
Browse Our Top Plums Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chestnuts and Prunes
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.3
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 130.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g