Recipe by Kasha
From Elle magazine, France, easy, cheap and quick to do, very impressive results. Can sub any kind of salted or even smokey ham such as proscuitto, or even just bacon in a pinch. Nice holiday first course.
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600 g frozen chestnuts, canned
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 1⁄2 liters water or 1 1⁄2 liters chicken stock
- 4 slices dry ham or 4 slices salted ham or 4 slices fried bacon, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the vegetables and garlic, sweat in a soup pot about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the chestnuts, the seasoniongs and the water or stock, cover, simmer 45 minutes.
- Take out the bouquet garni.
- Use the immersion blender to liquidize.
- Top with slivers of ham or bacon, maybe some parsley for color, a dop pf cream if you really want to make it special.