Recipe by Creation in Hope
I am posting this for the ZWT 2006. I have not made this recipe and it is compliments of fooddownunder.com.
- 250 g dried chestnuts
- 300 ml milk
- 85 g sugar
- 10 g vanilla sugar
- 50 g butter
- 50 ml grappa
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- sugar, for the souffle dish
- butter, for the souffle dish
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the chestnuts for 12 hours in cold water and drain (dried chestnuts are used because they have a stronger flavour than fresh ones).
- Cook with the milk for 20 minutes on a very low heat and then make a puree.
- Mix together with the softened butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and the grappa.
- (brandy, if you don't have grappa).
- Add the egg yolks one by one, mixing well.
- Leave to cool then fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Put the mixture into a buttered and sugared souffle dish and bake at 180-190 oC for about 40 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately, with a little whipped cream, if desired.