Recipe by ~Leslie~
This combination is so autumnal. Roast your own chestnuts if you wish or you can buy cooked vacuum-packed chestnuts at specialty stores. This is rich, filling risotto from Food and Drink. This will serve two as a main course, or four as a side dish. :)
Top Review by Spiritualized
Superb recipe !!! I had to amend the amounts though, as I felt that the amount of rice was not enough to feed a family of four. No vermouth either, but white wine does the trick as well ! Taste-wise, the mixture of chestnuts and cabbage against the white backdrop of rice makes it look good and taste fabulous. Certainly a top-drawer recipe !
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces side bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 7 ounces cooked chestnuts
- 1 cup savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the chicken stock into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the bacon, onion and celery, cooking gently until the onion is translucent and the bacon is cooked.
- Add the rice and stir so that the rice becomes coated in the oil.
- Add the vermouth and stir until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Now add a ladleful of stock and continue to stir until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue this process for 15 minutes, adding stock by the ladleful.
- Then add the chestnuts and cabbage and continue to cook, adding stock by the ladleful until all the rice is creamy but still has bite - about another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the butter.
- Divide between serving bowls and pass the Parmesan cheese.