Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A yummy vege side-dish, and a great way to use up a surplus of home-grown cherry tomatoes! You can use polenta (cornmeal) in place of the breadcrumbs if desired. Tear the basil leaves, rather than chop, to retain the flavour.
- 4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 -5 large tomatoes, chopped (or you can use a can of crushed tomatoes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Fry the onion slices and garlic in frypan until soft.
- Lightly grease a 5-cup ovenproof dish.
- Combine zucchini, tomatoes, paste, basil and 1 tbsp oil in the dish.
- Sprinkle cooked onion and garlic over the top of zucchini and tomato.
- Top with cheese and breadcrumbs, then drizzle with remaining oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden, bubbly and cooked through.