1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I got this recipe in 1973 from a friend at college. It is so easy and absolutely delicious. It could be made from fresh or frozen sour cherries, but I've always used canned cherries. I just drain the juice and save it for another use (cherry martini anyone?).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F; place baking pan in oven to preheat as well (9 x 15" or 11" round).
- 2Open cans of cherries; drain juice. Save juice for another use. Place cherries in a bowl and stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
- 3Melt the butter by placing it in the hot baking pan. While butter is melting, make the batter.
- 4Make batter by mixing dry ingredients (1 cup sugar, salt, baking powder and flour). Stir in the milk; beat well to eliminate lumps.
- 5Remove pan containing melted butter from oven; pour the batter into the pan over the melted butter. Don't stir.
- 6Spoon in the sugared cherries but don't stir. Just drop them around on top of the batter.
- 7Put in oven and bake for 60-70 minutes or until top is golden brown. The cherries will sink into the batter; the batter will rise to the top and form a beautifully golden crust.
- 8Let cool. Serve warm or cool either alone or topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Pie Cake
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.4
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 36.9 mg
- Sodium 343.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 46.2 g
- Protein 5.0 g