Recipe by Soygal
I got this recipe in 1973 from a friend at college. It is so easy and absolutely delicious. It could be made from fresh or frozen sour cherries, but I've always used canned cherries. I just drain the juice and save it for another use (cherry martini anyone?).
- 1⁄4 lb butter (I use Earth Balance to make it Vegan)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans sour cherries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use soy milk or almond milk to make it Vegan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F; place baking pan in oven to preheat as well (9 x 15" or 11" round).
- Open cans of cherries; drain juice. Save juice for another use. Place cherries in a bowl and stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Melt the butter by placing it in the hot baking pan. While butter is melting, make the batter.
- Make batter by mixing dry ingredients (1 cup sugar, salt, baking powder and flour). Stir in the milk; beat well to eliminate lumps.
- Remove pan containing melted butter from oven; pour the batter into the pan over the melted butter. Don't stir.
- Spoon in the sugared cherries but don't stir. Just drop them around on top of the batter.
- Put in oven and bake for 60-70 minutes or until top is golden brown. The cherries will sink into the batter; the batter will rise to the top and form a beautifully golden crust.
- Let cool. Serve warm or cool either alone or topped with whipped cream or ice cream.