Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make these for your family, or make as a mix to give as a gift- either way it will bring smiles on a cold winter day!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (use very fresh baking powder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a one quart jar, layer the ingredients in the order given- don't include the eggs, milk or cooking oil.
- Attach the following recipe to the jar. Cover and store in a cool dark cupboard for up to 6 months. Makes one batch of muffins.
- Directions for muffins:.
- Line twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin pans with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium bowl add the contents of the jar- make a well in the center.
- In another bowl combine the egg, milk, and oil. Add this mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm. Makes 12 muffins.
These are really good. I changed a few things though. I didn't have dried cherries so I used dried cherry cranberries. Also I'm trying to get a little more healthy so I only used 2 tablespoons of oil and added 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed. It made exactly 12 muffins, I love when it comes out right. I will definitely be making these again hubby says they're a keeper!