This recipe makes delicious little fudge squares that would be excellent on a holiday cookie tray. They are SWEET but really flavorful. Perfect as small squares. If you like Chocolate and Cherries this recipe is for you. The candy bar was originally called Cherry Chase, and then Cherry Chaser, before becoming known as Cherry Mash. It can be found throughout the Midwest in most grocery and convenience stores and mass-merchandise outlets. I made them with pecans b/c I did not have peanuts and they were still delicious. I found the cherry chips at our Super Walmart next to the chocolate chips.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used butter) or 2 tablespoons margarine (I used butter)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half (I used 1/2 and 1/2 mixed with whole milk) or 1⁄3 cup undiluted evaporated milk (I used 1/2 and 1/2 mixed with whole milk)
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 cup cherry chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate about 3 1/2 ounces) or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- Combine sugar, butter or margarine, salt and half and half in saucepan. Boil on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in marshmallows and cherry chips.
- Spread in 8 or 9" square pan which has been lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt chocolate with peanut butter in a small pan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in peanuts. Spread evenly over cherry layer.
- Let set in refrigerator. Cut into 1" squares with warm sharp knife (hold under hot water and then dry before cutting).