Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This heavenly dessert is charmingly old-fashioned and made from scratch.
Make and share this Cherry Coconut Dream Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
Filling and Topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam, divided
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Coat two 9inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- At medium-high speed beat sugar with butter until fluffy, 2 minute Beat in eggs and extract. At low speed alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Stir in ground almonds. Bake 25 minute Cool 10 minute Remove from pans and cool completely.
- At high speed beat cream with sugar until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minute Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1/4 cup jam. Spoon pie filling over jam. Spread remaining cake layer with remaining jam; place jam side down over cherry filling.
- Transfer 1 cup whipped cream to pastry bag fitted with large star tip. Spread top and side of cake with remaining whipped cream. Gently press coconut onto side of cake. Pipe rosettes onto top of cake. Garnish with maraschino cherries, if desired.