Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A tasty healthy breakfast porridge. The flavors blend well by chilling the milk, oatmeal, and fruit together over night then cooking. Cook time does not include chill time.
- 1 cup steel cut oats (Irish oatmeal)
- 1⁄2 cup dried tart cherry
- 2 teaspoons tangerine peel, finely shredded (or orange peel)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- warmed milk
- turbinado sugar or other favorite sugar
- 1⁄4 cup toasted hazelnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup almonds
- In a nonmetal bowl combine oates, cherries, tangerine peel, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Stir in milk; cover and chill for 8-24 hours.
- To serve, transfer oatmeal mixture to a saucepan. Heat just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 5 mins or until oatmeal is done, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. If desired, top with warmed milk, sugar and nuts.
I cut this down to serve one but left out the butter, used canned cherries in place of dried & served with vanilla yoghurt. I loved the tang the orange gave to this, was a nice touch. Thanks for posting!
I am a huge fan of oatmeal! I made this with cherry pie filling I had in the cabinet. I used grated orange peel and all the spices listed then topped with warm milk. I don't eat any nuts, so I didn't use them. Since I used the pie filling,and regular oats I didn't have to let it sit. I just put it all together and threw it in the microwave! Then presto... Breakfast!
I really like the dried fruit mixed in with the oatmeal. I used a little orange rind in place and sprinkled some pecans over the top. Good stuff.