Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Ths is a delicious family type of cake. You never know where the marzipan will end up in the cake and it takes a bit of time to settle into a shape when you take it out of the oven.
- 8 ounces butter, at room temp
- 8 ounces sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces self rising flour
- 8 ounces glace cherries, chopped
- 4 ounces ground almonds
- 2 -3 drops almond extract
- 9 ounces marzipan
- 2 ounces blanced almonds, halved lengthways
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160*C (325*F) Grease a deep 8 inch round cake tin and line the base and sides with wax paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Pour in eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the flour one third at a time.
- Fold inthe cherries, ground almonds and almond extract until evenly mixed.
- Spoon half into the tin.
- Roll out the marzipan to a 7 1/2 inch circle.
- Lay this on top of the cake mixture in the tin, then cover with the rest of the mixture.
- Level with the back of a spoon and scatter the almonds on top.
- Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, covering with foil after 1 hour if it shows signs of burning.
- The cake is done when it shrinks away from the side of the tin and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
I made this a while ago and it turned out amazing! Everybody loved it, will definately make again.
Ran out of ground almonds - did half and half with dessicated coconut - I don't eat cake but am told it was excellent. Also put lemon juice in the marzipan. Thanks, Marie Alice! Mexy
I got some good scales for christmas and had to try out this recipe as I had been eyeing it up for quite a while. What a lovely cake this is. Quite different than our north american cakes, more like a fruitcake in texture, but I loved it! The marzipan added a delicious touch and everyone that I served it to really enjoyed it, in fact several people wanted the recipe!