Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Two packages of Walker's shortbread rounds (5 1/3 oz each) will yield the required 2 cups of crumbs. Adapted from a recipe by Maria del mar Sacasa at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/qKwtYO
- 2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almond, finely ground
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh cherries, stemmed, pitted, and halved
- 3⁄4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups mascarpone
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place a rack in the middle of your oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Combine cookie crumbs, 1/4 c (4 tbsp) brown sugar, almonds, butter and 1/4 tsp salt; mix until everything is moist and resembles wet sand. Pour into tart pan and press flat and up the sides. Bake 15 minutes until light golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack until completely cool, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 3/4 c cherries, 1/2 c Amaretto, sugar and 1/8 tsp salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes until syrupy. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside until slightly cooled, about 5 minutes. Add remaining cherries and toss to coat.
- Combine water and gelatin in a small bowl. Microwave on high 20 seconds or until gelatin dissolves. Cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine mascarpone, remaining brown sugar, remaining Amaretto, remaining salt, vanilla extract, and dissolved gelatin. Whisk until smooth. Spread into tart shell and top with glazed cherries. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.