Barb Witherspoon's Note:
Cherokee Grill is our favorite restaurant in Gatlinburg, TN. If you're ever in the Smoky Mountains, check it out! Beautiful restaurant, great food. This is my favorite dish there; they posted it on their website. This recipe makes a LOT, so if you are making it for a small group or family, you might want to half it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 6 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 ounces dark beer
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 8 ounces yellow cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces white American cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained well)
- 1 lb macaroni
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1Thaw the frozen spinach in the refrigerator overnight.
- 2Squeeze as much excess water as possible out of spinach and set aside.
- 3Place the milk, garlic, and crushed red pepper in a saucepan.
- 4Bring to a simmer with low to medium heat.
- 5Saute the finely diced onion in 1 tbsp butter for about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the onion to the milk, then add the Dijon mustard, Tabasco, and beer.
- 7Continue to simmer, stirring often so the milk does not burn.
- 8Make a roux with 5 tbsp melter butter and 6 tbsp flour.
- 9Cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 10Add to the milk mixture and mix well.
- 11Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens, then reduce heat.
- 12Add the cheese to the sauce (cut into small cubes so the cheese will melt faster.).
- 13Stir until the cheese is completely melted and blended into the sauce.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- 16In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked macaroni, cheese sauce, and the spinach.
- 17Mix until blended.
- 18Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- 19Top with grated cheddar cheese.
- 20Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or till hot.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherokee Grill Macaroni and Spicy Cheese With Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 909.8
- Calories from Fat 477
- Total Fat 53.0 g
- Saturated Fat 33.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.0 mg
- Sodium 1321.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 43.6 g