1 hr 10 mins
This is from the Thursday magazine. This was submitted by Indu Resmi Santhosh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 kg prawns
- 1 potato, cut into small pieces
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 4 green chilies, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 15 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 whole dried red chilies, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1Clean the prawns nicely (make sure you remove the black thread on its back).
- 2Cook the prawns in 2 cups of water alongwith the potato, turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
- 3Fry the onions in 2 tbsps.
- 4of oil till golden in colour.
- 5Add red chilli powder and corriander powder.
- 6Fry for 3 minutes.
- 7Keep aside.
- 8Now, take a non-stick pan.
- 9Dry roast the grated coconut in it till brown.
- 10Allow to cool.
- 11Grind well in a mixer (without adding water) till it becomes an oily paste.
- 12Mix together the cooked prawns (alongwith the water in which it is cooked), potato, chopped green chillies, tomato pieces, fried coconut paste, fried onion with red chilli powder and corriander powder and salt to taste.
- 13Stir well.
- 14Cook for 5 minutes or till the curry thickens.
- 15You may add some water, if required.
- 16Stir in the fenugreek powder.
- 17Remove from flame.
- 18Fry mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves in 1 tbsp.
- 19of oil.
- 20Pour it over the curry.
- 21Add a pinch of sugar.
- 22Serve hot with cooked white rice.
Nutritional Facts for Chemmeen (Prawns)Thiyyal
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.0
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 157.5 mg
- Sodium 753.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: