I have been making this recipe I found in Betty Crocker and modified to my liking for 20 years or so. My family loves it - and even a few of my husband's co-workers look forward to it at the holidays now! I like to make mini loaves of this (half with nuts and half without), my Chelle's Pumpkin Bread and Chelle's Zucchini Bread and make little "gift trays" for the holidays. ;)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup margarine (I use Imperial generally) or 1⁄3 cup butter (I use Imperial generally)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour (do not use self-rising flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla (I like Spice Island 100% Bourbon Vanilla extract)
- Heat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom only of your loaf pan.
- In large bowl, mix together sugar and margarine.
- Stir in eggs until blended.
- Add vanilla, water and bananas and beat for 30 seconds.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a separate bowl before adding to mixture.
- When all ingredients are mixed together, add nuts, if desired holding a few aside to garnish top.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Sprinkle top with nuts or arrange a few whole nuts on top prior to baking.
- Bake for 75 minutes for an 8 inch loaf pan, 55 to 60 minutes for a 9 inch loaf pan.
- Loaf should be deep golden brown and a wooden toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of loaf when cooked thoroughly.
- Serve warm with butter, whipping cream (with a touch of rum for a dessert), toasted is great anytime or just plain!
- Enjoy! ;).
I did not have bananas and used grated Zucchini, adding 1t cinnamon. I knew it was going to be great just by tasting that batter. Mine came out moist and wonderful! Thanks.
This came out delicious!! I also used all butter and used pecans. Hubby took it in to work and they devoured it. Made for Mommy's Diva's Cookathon 2012.
I made this recipe as posted but used all butter instead of margarine. It was so very tasty and moist and one I will make often as DH couldn't get enough of this wonderful banana bread. Thanks Mommy Diva for a super tasty treat. Made for the Dining Daredevils for ZWT5 Family Picks.