Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My family is a fan of the local Brew and Pub's Cheddar Beer Soup AND Cheddar Broccoli Soup. What we're not a fan of, is the salt content, lack of "content" and PRICE. Here's a cure-all!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic, bottled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 10 ounces guinness stout lager beer
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Sautee diced vegetables and seasonings in EEOV until tender.
- Add beer, broth, frozen broccoli and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and puree with immersion bender until desired consistency is achieved. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until well blended. Add half and half. Continue to simmer additional 5 -7 minutes.
- Serve hot.