Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Inexpensive recipe from Carnation Evaporated Milk.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut in half, drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F.
- MELT butter in medium saucepan. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes. Blend in flour, salt and ground black pepper. Stir in evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil. Stir in cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese until melted.
- COMBINE rice, parsley, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, and tomatoes in 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Top with tuna. Spread cheese sauce over tuna.
- BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are bubbly.
I saw this today and had things to make it work so I figured why not... All I can say is Thank You! This was a tasty meal that was different from the norm and gave me a new way to use my tuna. (I love tuna) I didn't have an 11x7 dish but an 8x8 is the equivalent. I used a four cheese blend instead of cheddar because it was already shredded and I used a parm/asiago/romano shredded blend as well. I used a medium onion, added an extra can of tuna, was a little more liberal with the spices and sliced up a 26 oz can of whole tomatoes. the rice was tender and the top was oh so pretty when it came out of the oven after 23 minutes. The 'cheese sauce' was almost like a cream of onion cheese soup from scratch... nice very nice, Thanx again for posting.