Layered Cheesy Tuna and Zucchini Casserole
A family favorite! --- I would recommend to slice the zucchini fairly thick and you may want to add in some chopped green bell pepper also if desired, I have even substituted cooked chicken breast in place of tuna with great success, I like to combine both mozzarella and cheddar cheeses but of coarse one or the other may be used, I also add in 1 teaspoon garlic powder to the sour cream mixture.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans chunk tuna (I use all white tuna, but light may be used also, or use both)
- 4 cups wide egg noodles (uncooked)
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
- salt and pepper (I use about 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large firm roma tomato, chopped
- Cook the egg noddles in boiling water according to package directions; drain and rinse under warm water, then set aside.
- Drain the tuna and flake with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine tuna, cooked egg noodles, celery and onions; mix well to combine.
- In another small bowl, combine sour cream, mustard powder, mayo, Parmesan cheese, milk, thyme, salt and pepper; add into the tuna mixture and toss well to combine.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spoon HALF of the mixture into prepared dish.
- Top with HALF of the sliced zucchini.
- Then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Top with noodle mixture then remaining zucchini.
- Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover, sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese, return to oven (uncovered) and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped tomato over casserole before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Very good! I love a no cream of soup tuna casserole. I made this as directed but used cream for the milk and used the seasoned salt and garlic powder options. It might be because I'm pregnant but I think I prefer my tuna casseroles just with peas and onion...I wasn't loving the crunchy celery and zucchini flavors. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders tag game.