Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 hrs
These are quick and easy and make a really "UNIQUE"side dish. Spicy hash browns and cheese stuffed in small pepper rings baked until gooey and lightly brown make this a nice dish to serve along side, chicken, fish steak, or just about anything. These are also a great side for a BBQ as they they can be made ahead and just heated up.
- 3 cups frozen hash browns (OreIda works great for this)
- 3 red peppers (cut into 1-inch rings, seeds and ribs removed)
- 3 scallions, diced fine (white and green parts)
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Potato Filling -- In a large saute pan, add the oil and butter and bring to medium heat. Add in the garlic, onion and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the potatoes, salt, pepper, parsley, and cayenne and cook until slightly brown on medium high heat but not over done. You still want them undercooked a bit, but soft and tender Approximately 7-10 minutes. When done, remove from the heat into a large bowl, let cool slightly and add the egg, cheese and scallions and mix well.
- Peppers -- As the potatoes are cooking prepare the peppers. Cut the very top and bottom off of the pepper and then cut in 3 - 1" (approximate size) rings. Remove the ribs and seeds. This should make 3-4 - 1" rings per pepper.
- Bake -- On a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper sprayed with non-stick spray or Pam, set the rings down and then fill with the potato mixture and be sure to press down and fill completely. Cook 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and the peppers are soft and tender.
- Serve -- Pretty and easy. ENJOY!
I made 70 of these for a catering job and they were a huge hit! Super easy to make ahead of time, and they browned up beautifully. I got tons of compliments on them. I made them with green and red peppers, they were so colourful and pretty. Thanks so much, this will go on my catering rotation :)