Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced (unpeeled)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan.
- Blend in flour, then add milk, all at once.
- Cook, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
- Add shredded cheese, season and continue to cook until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Layer cheese sauce and potatoes/onions beginning and ending with cheese sauce.
- Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour.
This is a wonderful classic. It is the same recipe I've used for years. It's a huge family favorite. We made it tonight to go with ham. I always grease the casserole with butter before layering the potatoes, then I salt and pepper each layer of potatoes and onion slices, and put a few dabs of butter between the layers, too. A trick I've learned is to pre-cook this in the micro-wave for about 10 - 15 minutes before finishing in the oven. It shortens the cooking time. I keep it covered in the oven until the potatoes are fork tender and then continue uncovered until the cheese sauce is golden brown and bubbly.
The trick to perfect scalloped potatoes is blending the flour and milk before adding it to the potatoes. I made only a few changes. Add 1 teaspoon of black pepper and sprinkled some paprika on top. This will become part of our family cookbook. Thanks for posting.
On 7/8/09 I was looking for a scalloped potato recipe that had the same amount of baking time as Recipe#187469 or pretty close to it. And I came across this one and decided to try it.The recipe was followed as it was written, I even added a bit more cheese to the top before baking. ( I'm a cheese addict :) ) After baking, I let it " rest " for a bit so it wouldn't be too hard to plate up. As for the taste my SO and I both thought that it needed just a bit more salt, but other than that this recipes is a "keeper ". Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "