Recipe by homegirl 7147
This is the way my mom used to make scalloped potatoes, when I started making them I just developed my own way because it is so easy. When ever I make them everyone goes crazy over them, especially my husband. This is how much of everything that I put in but you can come up with your own variation if you have a different size casserole dish. REALLY GARLICY (that is how I like it, ifyou don't use less).
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 baking potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 4 -6 teaspoons butter
- 8 -10 tablespoons cheese spread (I use Kraft Cheese Whiz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice potatoes thin (the thicker they are the longer it will be till they are done.
- Cut up the garlic how you like, I slice it (keep in mind the more cut up it is the more flavor it will have). Chop up onion (I leave it in partial slices).
- Take out a casserole dish (I use 1.9L). First put in 1T. butter (so it doesn't stick too bad to the bottom). Add 1/3 of the potatoes (pressing down to spread the butter on the bottom), 1/3 of the onion, about 1 clove of garlic, 1-2 teaspoons butter, about 2-3 tablespoons cheese whiz (sometimes I melt it first), and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Repeat 2 more times to create layers, ending up with cheese layer on the top so it will coat all the potatoes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake till potatoes are tender about an hour, check often to make sure it is not burning and mix only twice to evenly coat but not to break up potatoes too much.