Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This side dish appears every Easter and Christmas Eve to go along with the holiday ham. We never have any leftovers.
- 2 lbs frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of potato soup or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancream celery or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Place thawed hash browns in very large bowl. Add creamed soups and sour cream; stir to combine and set aside. In saute pan melt 1/4 cup of butter and saute onion and garlic till tender. Add to potato mixture along with seasonings and cheese. Stir together till nicely combined. Spread evenly into a 9 by 13 inch greased glass baking dish. In a small bowl combine Corn Flakes with the melted butter. Evenly place topping over potatoes then sprinkle over topping with dried parsley. Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, then remove foil and bake 30 more minutes, or till golden and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Perfect! Loved it! I used cheddar cheese and cream of chicken soups. The addition of the onion and garlic really brings this up a notch from the other cheesy potatoes with corn flakes on top recipes I've tried. This is how I'm going to make it from now on, minus a little salt.
Very good! Thanks for sharing.