Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This came from Williams-Sonoma's website and has (so far) 17 perfect 5 star reviews. I'm dying to try it.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a 10-inch nonstick fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the stock and cream. Add the Gruyère and thyme and stir until the cheese has melted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes and stir to coat them well. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the top is golden brown and bubbling at the edges, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.