Easy Cheesy Zucchini Gratin
Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa show, this is easy to make! Oh, and did I mention it's delicious too?!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 -5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for topping (start with 3, then see how much more you want to put in)
- 2 yellow onions, cut in 1/2 and sliced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 lbs zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 4 zucchini)
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- 3⁄4 - 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (or Italian breadcrumbs)
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese (or Gouda, cheddar, Swiss or Parmesan)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch saute pan and cook the onions over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until tender but not browned. If using garlic, add the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Add the zucchini and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, or until just tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the hot milk and cook over low heat for a few more minutes, until it makes a sauce.
- Pour the mixture into an 8"x10" baking dish.
- Combine the bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle on top of the zucchini mixture. Dot with 1 tablespoon of the extra butter cut into small bits.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Oh my goodness this is good! We had company over and everyone went for seconds on this one! We just loved it! I used half yellow squash & half zucchini since I had a ton of both from our garden. I also used half milk & half 1/2 & 1/2. I upped the flour to 3 Tbsp & mixed that into the milk before pouring over the zucchini. The textures and flavors are wonderful and it's easy to put together. I even had to give over the recipe to the guests before they would leave! Thank you for a wonderful dish :)