1 hr 15 mins
I made this tonight for dinner and fell in love. Please used the stewed tomatoes! Lately I have been using shallots in the place of onions because I have a ton of them. Sorry for the weird amount on the butter beans; I use about 3/4 of a 15 oz can. If you want it a little more like a marinara try adding some tomato paste. Celery would also be good in the sauce. I like to serve this in bowls with about 1/2 pasta 1/2 sauce in them, so you may need to adjust pasta and mushrooms for what you like. Be careful as to how much cheese you use too! Hope you enjoy as much as I did!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions or 1/2 cup shallot
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 15 ounces butter beans (divided)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8-1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 1Caramelize onions/shallots and garlic in pan.
- 2As they caramelize mash in food processor (or with knife) butter beans until you have about 1/2 cup bean paste. Do not smash all of the beans, only enough to get the 1/2 cup!
- 3Add bean paste, tomatoes, fennel, and as much of the remaining butter beans as you like to onions.
- 4Add salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, pepper flakes, and water.
- 5Let sauce boil cook on med heat until desired thickness (about 20 minutes).
- 6Cook penne in salted water.
- 7While penne cooks saute mushrooms in saucepan.
- 8When both mushrooms and penne are cooked, drain penne and add pasta, milk, pepper, garlic powder and cheese to saucepan with the mushrooms.
- 9Cook until cheese is melted.
- 10Dish pasta mixture into bowls and serve with sauce over it.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Pasta With Tomato Butter Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.7
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 1347.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.8 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 24.0 g